Saturday, July 25, 2009

"Getting healthier" is the cover phrase but I'm really on a diet

I made it home from my trip.

I let some things get to me on the plane-both seatmates got up and moved-and I also started thinking about how my host in the city I visited kept talking about how our health (they didn't use the word "weight") needs to get in control. She was gracious enough to include herself in the factor rather than hounding solely me about it. They have a problem with my weight but apparently I have a problem with it as well. I think it's okay for ME to have a problem with it and do something about it accordingly.

So yes, I can agree with the idea of being healthier and shedding some pounds. But, at the same time I feel like such a hypocrite because I'm now on a diet and disregarding my HAES principles. I know that Weight Watchers is the Axis of Evil in the Health At Every Size movement and no matter what they call it at WW it is a diet. Even if in the back of my mind I tell myself that I am just getting control of my health, if you ignore your bodily cues and you let someone tell you what to eat, when to eat it, how to eat it, and how much of it to eat it then you are on a diet.

Maybe I am in denial? I kept telling myself that as long as my numbers are good then I am fine. But no, this is not good.

My legs ache.
My feet hurt and swell all the time.
My thighs stick together.
I have lots of backfat that annoys the hell out of me.
My posture is horrible.
It's hard to breathe.
It's becoming more and more difficult to find good-fitting clothes *and* shoes.

No, this is not good.

Maybe Weight Watchers can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment